First of all, get another email address besides your personal or business email. A yahoo, hotmail or googlemail address works great. The reason for this is that the address is public on the web and might be caught and used to send spam. This way, you keep your personal and your business email clean.
- Go to http://www.linkedin.com
- Click the “join now” button
- Complete the information about yourself. Do not forget to add the keywords that people would use to find you. You can see how far you got on the progress bar LinkedIn displays.
- Summary: Enter your 30-second elevator speech in here
- Specialties: Enter your skills and keywords for SEO in here
- Work history: be short and concise; remember most people just skim the content
- Add links to your website/blog – it is one of the main intentions to show people more about you
- Photo: make sure it is professional – this is your resume on the web
- Tagline: significant and unique – this is what most people see first from you
- Edit your public profile settings to show only the information to everyone that you want to show
- Set your vanity URL for your LinkedIn profile
Take your time by filling out the information. Keep in mind what your goal is and focus your writing on that.